Volunteering at BFC
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
The role of a volunteer at the Borough Food Cooperative
Each volunteering experience with the BFC is different. There are roles for those who want to be hands-on with food, roles for those who want to work with our customers in the shop and roles for those who want to deliver our service off site to our more vulnerable or isolated customers.
There is huge flexibility depending on the amount of time you can commit (minimum of 2 shifts per month for 3 months initially)
Roles assigned will depend on your availability and where the need is greatest, but we will endeavour to take into account your preferences.
Due to the nature of our operation, current roles all require standing, walking, and lifting. Manual handling training can be provided, and staff will be on hand to support you.
What we need from you:
• ability to be a team player
• physical strength
• organisational skills
• understanding of our mission
• awareness of food handling guidelines (training can be provided)
• treating others with respect and dignity at all times
What we hope you’ll get from the experience:
• Being part of a close, supportive, and thriving food charity
• A sense of purpose and fulfilment
• Opportunity to learn new skills and gain different experiences
• Fitness in a sociable environment (for certain roles)
• Opportunity to support your local community
Your contribution will have a direct social and environmental impact: Fighting Food Waste and Fighting Food Costs, side by side, and providing our customers with great quality, affordable food! Volunteers are the heartbeat of the BFC, and we couldn’t do what we do without the support from amazing people like you!
If you're interested in volunteering, we'll be asking you to try out different volunteering roles, depending on your availabilities and skills. Many volunteers do several different roles and we'll work with you to find the best match.
Please read through the descriptions of each type of volunteering shift by clicking on the following buttons before filling out a volunteer application form.